Understanding the challenges of mental health and dementia care
Who we support
Pennine Lodge has been a trusted provider of high quality, personalised mental health care for many years.
We understand that dementia and mental health care present specific challenges.
From our safe residential setting, we provide support for working-age and older individuals with mental health and associated complex health needs including:
- Dementia that has advanced with associated complex health and personal care needs
- Mental health issues that have stabilised from treatment and ageing, including conditions like schizophrenia and bipolar disorder
- Complex and challenging care needs as a result of mental health issues with associated dementia
- End of life care
Our home is bright and colourful and has an atmosphere of hope and optimism. We have private, secure gardens with easy access paths, which we encourage our ladies and gentlemen to enjoy.
Spending time outdoors has many benefits and can have a positive effect on emotional health and wellbeing by improving appetite and sleep, stimulating the senses and relieving tension and anxiety. Sunlight also promotes the natural absorption of vitamin D into the body, which is essential for maintaining healthy bones.
Trained mental health care professionals
Our experienced care teams undertake training to look after those with mental health concerns to the highest standard. The care staff at Pennine Lodge understand the health conditions of our ladies and gentlemen and work hard to build supportive relationships with them.
Talking about mental health
At Pennine Lodge, you or your loved one always has a voice and you have choice and control over your or your loved one’s care, treatment and support.
Talking openly about mental health can help people understand their own experiences and get the right advice and support quickly:
- Peer support helps to reduce the stigma and isolation that many older people with mental health problems experience
- Talking to health care providers leads to more personalised services for our ladies and gentlemen
- Welcoming and inclusive communities like ours, where older people with mental health problems each have a role, encourage openness and understanding
- Our psychological therapies provide insight into the person and help us to build strategies for coping with their individual mental health problems